Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Going from working fine to completely and irreversiably forzen in 10-3

• Please log in to reply

raechan89

raechan89

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi! Just yesterday, my computer started freezing, and wouldn't even let me shut it down, forcing me to unplug it. I removed the most recent program I installed in it's entirity in order to see if that would fix it, but that didn't do it. I've tried cleaning out the temporary files using my pc's program, but the computer freezes before it can really even get started. I've run it in safe mode as well; it runs fine for more than an hour before freezing. I've tried doing a system restore, but that didn't do anything either (not that it ever has...). I have Norton Antivirus and update it constantly.

Do I have too much space used up (I recently installed a really big game, which takes up a lot of space, but still left a good bit of room)? Did I blow a fan or something (The computer seemed to be running really hard for awhile before it suddenly grew very quiet)? Is my registry corrupted (even after removal, the other program I installed could have still mucked up my registry without my knowing it...).

I would appreciate the help; I've spent a very long night trying to reverse this, and I don't want to spend all that money at a computer repair place if I don't have to :) (I'm a bit poor for it anyway). My computer is a 2006 HP a1640n, product # RC663AA. I'm typing this from my laptop, so I can reply without interferance, but have the pc in question nearby.

Thank you for your assistance. :) :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi raechan89 :)

Your problem could be a few issues.

Lets start with the following.
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem
================================================

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]====================================================

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

123runner

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
"File record segment 282764 is unreadable." Does that mean that part of my registry was corrupted? Will this program repair that? And thank you for your quick reply before. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you get that during the chkdsk step?
If so rerun that to make sure it fixt everything. If so then 123Runner can direct you on how to run a System File Checker to try to repair any system files that may be corrupted or missing.

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alright, it's finished; it seems to be working ok so far, but I might give it some time to see if it's truly fixed or not. I think it repaired the damaged files, but again, I want to give it a little time to see if it worked. Again, thank you. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We will await your response. :) :)

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It's playing Neverwinter Nights 2 without freezing, and looking good besides. I'd say the problem is fixed! :) Thank you so much! I think I know where I'll be going should I ever screw up my computer again. :) Again, thank you so much for your help and speedy replies! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 25 June 2010 - 06:18 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
:) :) :) :)