Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unique Font troubles

• Please log in to reply

Middy

Middy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been given a new position that requires me to download a folder of fonts. I opened them using WinRar as suggested by my employer. Everything went smoothly until I tried to install them.

Clicking on File->Install new fonts in the control pannel resulted in an error that said 'Can't locate filed specified'

http://i47.tinypic.com/1z52o08.jpg

So then instead of just opening the file with Winrar, I saved it and still got the same error. I tried to extract it, but that didn't work either. I've tried to install the entire folder or just one of the fonts individualy. I've deleted and resaved/trying to install for 2 days now. I even tried using a AMP Font Viewer to help me install it, but to no avail. I can open the folder and see the fonts with every font program, they just wont install.

I have googled this and emailed my employer and all I got was the same information I've tried or no one has posted about the specifiic error.

I tried to even download a font off a free font site, but even that font wont install.

:) I am very confused, I received a font from a teacher at school and was able to install that font from my harddrive to the font folder just by draging the font over to the folder.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Middy

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you show a screenshot of the open rar file? what is the file extension on the fonts? is the "ADMUI3Lg" to the left of the error in your picture one of the files?

Middy

Middy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

can you show a screenshot of the open rar file? what is the file extension on the fonts? is the "ADMUI3Lg" to the left of the error in your picture one of the files?

Sure thing, here is a screen cap of the rar file after I download it. The image on the left is how it looks when it first opens and the right is all the fonts in the file.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2lx56x.jpg

It seems the majority of the fonts are True Type .ttf and a few are .otf

the 'Admui3LG' file is a already installed font in my folder, on the bottom left of the screen is the font I was attempting to intall called Edosz.ttf

I go to install the font, my administrative password box pops up, I type it in and it just sends me the error. It never shows any attempt to copy or intall it.

thank you! =3

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are you trying to install directly from that winRAR window? if so, try dragging the wingtip folder out of the rar file to your desktop, then drag the files from that folder to the fonts folder (or right click install or whatever)

Middy

Middy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

are you trying to install directly from that winRAR window? if so, try dragging the wingtip folder out of the rar file to your desktop, then drag the files from that folder to the fonts folder (or right click install or whatever)

I've tried installing directly, moving it to my desktop and then installing, I've tried saving it in my external hard drive then installing it. I even tried to open in in a AMP font viewer and install it that way..but I still get that little buggar of an error. I tried earlier to just download a font off a site with my usual .zip extractor and it is doing the same thing.

I was able to install a Tribute.otf font not too long ago that a teacher saved on my external hardrive and it accepted it without a problem. It is really just the strangest thing. :)

Middy

Middy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been able to get the fonts to show up in my photoshop temporarly. I foud a secret tip to open the font file in the Microsoft Word Veiwer and then open up photoshop and the font will be usable for that session.

This tip has worked and I'm just happy I'm able to use them one way or another for my job.

But if anyone knows how to get around this strange 'Can't find filed specified' so I can permanetly install them, I would be most appriciative. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you tried just dragging the font from the unrared folder into the fonts folder?