Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google redirect issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I haven't notice anything yet. I'll monitor it and let you know.

Thanks again for all your help!

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hi there,

Not problem, glad I was able to help you out. :)

Now that your system appears to be clean, I'll give you some instructions to remove the tools we have used and I'll offer some advice to help prevent future infection.

STEP 1 - Clear Restore Points

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top.
STEP 2 - Uninstall ComboFix
  • Rename the Combo-Fix file on your desktop to Uninstall.
  • Double click on Uninstall to uninstall the program.
STEP 3 - Remove Tools

Run OTL
  • Click Clean Up in the upper right corner.
  • This will remove most if not all the tools we used while we were fixing your computer. Feel free to delete any others it leaves behind.
Now that you have a clean system, I would like to share with you some advice to help reduce the risk of future infection.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I recommend that you install both of the following free programs if you haven''t already, as they can greatly increase the security of your system. It is not essential that you have these programs installed, but they do a very good job at preventing infection if your system is scanned regularly.+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A good firewall is also useful for keeping a system infection free. You should only have ONE firewall installed on your computer - having more than one will not increase the security of your system. Here is a small list of some free firewallsAn antivirus program is also a program that should be installed on all computers. These will help reduce the risk that your computer gets infected by viruses or trojans in the future. Keep in mind that you only need ONE antivirus program installed on your computer. If you have more than one installed, they can often conflict and leave your system unprotected.Having up to date Antivirus and Firewall software is vital to keeping a healthy, infection free system

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To find out more information on how your system got infected, or how to protect yourself on the internet in the future, this article by Tony Klein provides some great information.

Good luck and safe surfing!

-mpascal

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I decided to run microsoft internet explorer virus scan. All I have done since our last convo was go to yahoo and then go to microsoft to run the virus scan. It gave me this:

3 severe issues found:
PWS:Win32/Zbot.gen!Y
Trojan:JS/Tracur.C
TrojanDownloader:Win32/Obitel

What is this stuff and how come we didn't detect?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Did it tell you where the files were found?

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
No, It just listed them as I have above. It then removed 2 but it could not remove all. I believe Trojan:JS/Tracur.C is still there. When I get home I will rerun the scan and see what's left. The scan takes a couple hours.

Edited by jigga365, 06 July 2010 - 11:57 AM.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Okay, see if you can get the file location.

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Okay I ran it again and this is what I got:

1 severe issue:
PWS:Win32/Zbot.gen!Y

c:\_otl\movedfiles\07012010_211533\c_documents and settings\vishal beharry\application data\iwcy\caanr.exe

Also,

When I shut down my PC and restart at a later time the computer always go to a blue screen that reads something along the lines of "checking c drive and this file is dirty."

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
That file is quarantined from OTL, so nothing to worry about there.

Do you mean that Windows is doing disk checking?

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes, When I restart the PC it goes to checking C and saying the drive is dirty. This has happened a lot recently.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Does the disk checking finish?

Advertisements

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry for the late reply. I was out of town. The disk check finishes and the computer restarts properly. It happens every time I power down the computer and restart it. Thats the only funny thing. Other than that, I haven't noticed any issues.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Hi there,

Go Start->Run->cmd followed by enter.
  • At the prompt type chkdsk C: /r followed by enter.
  • If it asks you to scan next time you restart, press Y.
  • Reboot your computer, and let the scan finish (this may take some time)

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Yes it still happens when I restart. Also, on a much lesser note, I can't set my time on the bottom screen. I can but it only displays military time no matter what I do. Have you ever heard of this?

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Does it find any errors when you do disk checking?

Try the following instructions to address the time problem.

http://www.undergrou...er/14913/page/3

jigga365

jigga365

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Does it find any errors when you do disk checking?

Try the following instructions to address the time problem.

<a href="http://www.undergrou...r/14913/page/3" target="_blank">http://www.undergrou...4913/page/3</a>

It just says your disk type is NFTS or something like that and that it's dirty. It goes through a 3 step scan process then reboots the PC everytime.