Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti virus query

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
Early in 2009 someone (I think it was someone I referred to as Fenz... but the thread is now closed) helped me with a very nasty virus and informed me on some Antivirus and firewall software.

Overall , My laptop has been ok since the last time he helped me.

I am however seeming to have a bit of a problem at the moment.

I recently Compressed my Hard drive/disc to free up some space as my disc had been getting full and I had to keep deleting files/transferring them.. I now have about 3 gb free space.

But the last 2 days my computer seems to be running poorly and often I cannot close my pages. Its usually ok when I just have a few normal pages open. BUT if I say run a video or say watch something live online
it does now seem to lock up and perform very poorly. So I keep having to switch it on and off again.

Sometimes I get a message warning me Ive a virtual memory problem.
but I am not sure what this is.. I used to get a warning low disc space before I compressed my disc... but I dont think virtual memory is the same issue..

As I say it sometimes runs Very Slow at times. I ran one of the Av programs Malwarebytes you gave me which has in the past detected the odd virus that an other that I have didnt. Initially the Free Avira Antivirus seemed to work fine.
BUT for some reason at the moment it doesnt seem to be working.
It updates, BUT wont run when I click on to do a scan.

I was going to delete it and reinstall a newer free version.

BUT I noticed that the Avira file that I have on my laptop is showing a file size of 59 mbs... and the present latest download is only about 42 mbs.... I assume its because over the time I had my initial version that the updates increased the file size.

So I wanted to try and get some advice before I delete my older version
as I thought that he newer version would be the same size file.

Thank you

Pete

Advertisements