Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Computer Build

• Please log in to reply

micaht

micaht

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I want to put together a computer for myself for the first time. Here is the list of parts that I'm considering for an AMD build. I don't need it to do any serious gaming, but I'm looking for decent quality and performance. Please let me know if I've missed something vital. One thing I'm not sure of is if I need to buy cables and such that don't come with the parts. All these parts are listed on newegg. Thanks for your help.

Antec NSK 4482B Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support
GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ADX260OCGMBOX

Advertisements

Aero A95

Aero A95

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
if i were u i would bump that power suply to 450watt just to be safe. like u turn on your new custom pc and the next sec u smell buring plastic. u realy dont want to smell buring plastic it stinks. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi macaht, welcome to Geeks.

Make sure the PSU is 80 plus certified.

You will not need any extra cables but, surge protector to fit into your wall socket or an outlet board with protection. You can buy both with sockets for a telephone line.

Remember to post back if you have any problems and how your build performs when you finish it.

micaht

micaht

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The PSU is 80 Plus Certified (Antec Earthwatts). It comes with the tower.

Edited by micaht, 27 June 2010 - 09:57 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That's good. :)

I used the PSU calculator on ANTEC, you would be able to upgrade the graphics to a mid range card later if you felt the need to.

Before you start your build I recommend you read this how to > http://www.geekstogo...er-t208831.html and let us know how you get on.