Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't connect to internet and everything says connected

• Please log in to reply

RENEE621

RENEE621

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi since November I have been having problems with my internet. I've contacted my internet provider, Optimum Online, who in turn told me to try plugging my laptop into the modem for at least a weekend and if I am able to stay online for that time then everything is okay on their part and to contact the router company. Okay, I was able to stay connected and use the internet by doing what they said but the minute I tried to go online by the regular modem and router connection, no internet again. So, I called Belkin, the router company. After spending 45 minutes with the customer rep., I was told that everything seemed fine with the router and all systems said go. He then informed me that upon further checking he suspects that the problem lie with my firewall and that I should disable it. I've just gotten this computer Dec.2009 and I had McAfee on it temporarily but the subscription expired and I did not put on a new firewall. The only protection my laptop has is I guess what you would call an "in-built" firewall. I did disable the in-built one but I still could not access the internet so I turned it back on in fear of any problems. I'm at a loss! I am paying for Internet and since November I have had this problem. It will work perfectly and then not at all. The longest it has worked has been for 10 days at a time. I've tried unplugging the router and modem and waiting then plugging them back in but this is like a 10 minute fix and then I'm right back to where I was before, no internet. On a further note, just to test the router, I took it to a friend's house and it worked perfectly. My laptop is a Dell Studio with Windows 7. Please help me!

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This may be something you've already tried, but open the Start menu, right-click Network, and select Properties. This will open the Network and Sharing dialog box.

In the panel on the left side, click on Set up a new connection or network, then double-click Connect to the Internet and follow the instructions. See if that will help.