Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not

• Please log in to reply

mlansky

mlansky

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Hi,

Now this is super frustrating. Everything works fine with my computer, except when I restarted it today and then tried to open a program called Mirc that I always use. Now every time I tried to open it, I'm getting this message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Why is this all of a sudden happening? I tried opening it in Safe Mode and it opens like it did before. It's just when I try to open it in Normal Mode that I get the above message. I'm running Windows XP. If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you and sincerely,

Craig

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Broni: Thank you for your reply, but I don't think that I have any Malware or Spyware on my computer. I think it has something to do with the administration on my computer. I think it may have something to do with that or something is not allowing the file to open such as my anti-virus software because I can open any other file or exe file such as utorrent on my computer with no problems whatsoever. I'm gonna go through the process that you just mentioned and if I'm still having problems, I'll do as you stated in your reply.

Thank you.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'll be around :)

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Broni: I just completed everything that you told me to do and no Malware or Spyware was found. What did you want me to try next?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're supposed to create new topic in malware forum. I don't see any.

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Broni: I couldn't find any Malware on my computer and I ran Spy-Bot and it found a maybe 2 or 3 entries. So I ended up just re-installing Mirc a couple of days ago and downloaded the most current/newest one. Everything seems to be working as it was before. Thanks again for your responses to my inquiry. I just hope everything runs smooth from now on :)

I just had one more question or inquiry. Do you know of any good sites regarding MsConfig and what services/settings you should run at startup? Such as what services Windows services need to be running and what services don't. I found some sites on Google, but I was just wondering if you knew of any off the top of your head.

Thanks again..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news then :)

As for startups:
http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

Normally, services should be left alone. If you're careful and you know exactly, what you're doing, the best place to check: http://www.blackviper.com/

mlansky

mlansky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Broni: It is good news :) I'm going to check out those sites that you posted this evening. I have another questions concerning Microsoft Office 2007 and C:\windows\installer, but I'll ask it once I check out those sites

Thank you once again..

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're very welcome Posted Image