Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 32-bit No Audio

• Please log in to reply

nexisrocks

nexisrocks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a computer which is currently running 32-bit Windows 7, however when this problem first appeared it was running 32-bit Vista. It is a Toshiba Satellite A120 laptop.

I have RealTek High Definition Audio, however I cannot get any audio to play (speakers or headphones).

In the device manager, there is an option for Sound, video and game controllers, under the expansion of which is RealTek High Definition Audio. There are no yellow exclamation marks or red x's.

As far as I can tell, all of the sound options are turned on, and Windows seems to think that everything is working.

I have tried un-installing and re-installing the drivers, to no avail.

There is no onboard sound option in the BIOS.

And yet, I have absolutely no audio.

Help, please?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Toshiba has no Win 7 driver for this, which usually either means Windows supports it out of the box or it's not supported at all.

Sometimes you can feed it a Windows Vista driver and it'll work:
http://uk.computers....iverLanguage=42

nexisrocks

nexisrocks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nope, didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I did a restore to factory settings, and the audio still doesn't work - however I borrowed a USB Sound Card and I do get audio from that. Does that mean my sound card is fried?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the card was fried there wouldn't be Realtek anything in Device Manager.
Sounds like the sound is working but the speakers aren't. Or there's something wrong somewhere. As the issue started under Vista I'd argue it's a hardware failure inside the laptop.
USB speakers are probably your only option, as the sound would be integrated on the board and not replaceable or fixable.