Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LOST MY WIZARD

• Please log in to reply

HeathenScot

HeathenScot

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
I recently had my local computer shop re-install XP and install Kaspersky security suite.
Before this, when I wished to transfer photos from my digital cameras, I used to insert a memory card reader into a USB port whereupon a wizard cam up enabling me to transer my photos.

Since the re-installation etc. this wizard no longer comes up and I have to use drag and drop to achieve the transfer.

I am reluctand to take my PC back to the computer shop because of their money grasping attitude. Can any kind Harry Potter help me to get my wizard back ?

Advertisements

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Two possibilities come to mind.

The first being that your firewall is blocking the communication with the card reader.

The second is maybe that the software for the reader was wiped clean to do the XP reinstall and you just need to reinstall it as well.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation ! marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

There may be no program associated with the reader. IE: a "open with".
Do you recall what "wizard" came up?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

The first being that your firewall is blocking the communication with the card reader.

just going to point this out....this is ridiculous and not the case. firewalls protect network traffic, not inter-device traffic like card readers or disk drives. now, some AV products will block direct access to externally attached media (card readers etc..) but a firewall will not (and any AV that does block this access will tell you that it has blocked it)

Brother Bill

Brother Bill

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

this is ridiculous and not the case

Not to worry. It won't happen again.