Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Symantec Antivirus for Mercury Systems

• Please log in to reply

CP Whittingham

CP Whittingham

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am trying to uninstall Symantec Antivirus for Mercury Systems

PC is a HP Pavilion Intel Celeron CPU 2.70Ghz, 504 MB RAM
Operating system Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

When I use the Add/Remove Programs I get the following message:

"Your two dollar monthly fee Symantec Anti-virus 10.0 can only be installed on a PC where Mercury Direct of FTD Mercury is present. Click ok to exit Symantec Anti-virus 10.0 install"

When I try the Norton Removal Tool version 2011.0.0.15 I get the following

"The following programs were found on this computer. These must be removed through "Add/Remove Programs" before Norton Removal Tool can proceed"

And it lists Symantec AntiVirus 9 or later

I seem to be in a catch 22 situation.
Any suggestions would be welcome

Regards,
CPW

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you currently work at/for an FTD florist? did this computer come from a florist?

CP Whittingham

CP Whittingham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your quick reply
The answer to the first question is no
I do not have any information regarding the origin of the computer - it belongs to a neighbor, who does not work for a florist.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may need to contact symantec directly on this one. norton AV for mercury systems is designed SPECIFICALLY to protect a proprietary computer system used by FTD florists (why they needed their own OS i couldn't tell you). either this computer at one time had mercury systems on it (the FTD thing)and norton was installed, then mercury was uninstalled, or someone downloaded a cracked version and installed it on this computer (somehow, considering it seems to need mercury before it will load).

only other option that i can think of to CLEANLY and completely get rid of it would be to format/reinstall

CP Whittingham

CP Whittingham

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for your help.
I'll see what my neighbor wants to do

Regards
CPW