Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IP Addresses

• Please log in to reply

fmarquez

fmarquez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was wondering if im protected from surfing the web with a static ip address. and if i had a router would it make a differnace. Right now i connected to a cable modem that has a static ip address. Can your ISP give you a dynamic ip?
help thks

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It depends on your internet provider's network arrangements. Some assign their customer's a dynamic IP address while others assign a static one. It's unlikely they'll change from one to the other at customer's request.

As far as internet safety is concerned, dynamic is no safer than static. Being behind a router does improve protection because most routers have a hardware firewall built in, but it doesn't offer 100% protection from hackers. You still need to install a good third-party software firewall, preferrably configured to alert you to all incoming & outgoing traffic. Installing a good firewall is more important than debating the merits of a static or dynamic IP address if you're concerned about keeping hackers out.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what he said