Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDMI Cabel connecting my Laptop to my TV with perfect image but no sou

• Please log in to reply

WillHunter

WillHunter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought an HDMI cabel to connect my computer (which has an HDMI port) to my tv (which also has an HDMI port) which gave me a fantastic image but so far no sound. I tried to do a bit of research and most answers told me to go to the sound option on the control panel (I use Windows 7) and select HDMI as the audio output and to set it to standard. I found the menu without any problems but my computer doesn't seem to have recognised HDMI as an option. Any help would be really appreciated =)

By the way picture is perfect, and my laptop speakers are ok but if you guys could help me reach the ideal then it would be even more awesome!! =)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible that the HDMI port on your laptop is really just a DVI-D port with an HDMI interface instead of the standard DVI-D interface. DVI-D does not transmit sound, just video.

what's the make/model of your laptop?

WillHunter

WillHunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Good idea! The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv8 1180-ez Notebook PC, 64 Bit if any more details would be useful let me know =)

So far I found this (I could only find it in German :/)

Externe Anschlüsse (External Connections)

* 4 USB 2.0 (4. geteilt mit eSATA-Anschluss) (4th shared with eSATA-Connection)
* 1 eSATA/USB-Anschluss
* 1 VGA-Anschluss
* 1 RJ45-Ethernet-Anschluss
* Erweiterungsanschluss
* 2 Kopfhörerausgänge
* 1 Mikrofoneingang
* 1 FireWire-Anschluss IEEE 1394
* Infrarotschnittstelle für Fernbedienung
* Anschluss für Dockingkabel

Well I didn't translate after the first couple of lines but basically Anschluss means Connection and there's no mention of an HDMI connection. Though no mention of a DVD-I port either. Still at square one so far. Though thanks for the support so far!

Edited by WillHunter, 30 June 2010 - 09:13 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.shopping....ion/dv8t_series if that's your laptop, it does suggest that it's got an HDMI port, but i still suspect that it's DVI-D not full HDMI