Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebooting Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply

Deathhead122

Deathhead122

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, I have had my computer for roughly 6 years and it is extremely horrible lately. I have gotten a couple virus' I don't have time to remove and old files I didn't even know I still had. I have lost my OS Cd and it doesn't seem like my Computer has the ability for restoring factory settings from the main screen. {Black screen holding down F10 or F11).

If anyone could please help me, if you need Specs I can provide them.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you do have the XP CD and your computer does not have a recovery partition and you do not have the time to spare to attempt to put the computer back in working order, then please tell me where we are meant to go from here.?

Deathhead122

Deathhead122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I do not have the Cd, is my computer basically screwed then?

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Well if you don't have any way of obtaining a disk than yes. Your only other option would be to get a disk off of eBay/Amazon or buy an OS (not sure if XP is till sold in stores) from a retail store of local computer shop!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Does the computer load windows and you just want to sort it out or will it not load the operating system.
Ebay, generally speaking is a very doubtful place to buy a GENUINE (available for legal use) Microsoft Operating System CD/DVD.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 June 2010 - 02:56 PM.

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

GENUINE (available for legal use) Microsoft Operating System CD/DVD

And if its not eBay refunds your money, but you can never be to watchful when on any site like eBay!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
TigerDirect still sells XP OEM HERE

NewEgg still sells XP OEM also HERE

Deathhead122

Deathhead122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have had some friends that talked about "Cracked Os".
Not only is it illegal it seems unreliable, so bad choice?

Marc Billow

Marc Billow

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Illegal, YES! Unreliable, Windows has a little (understatement) thing called Genuine Advantage, Microsoft's way of trying to keep you from activation a cracked version of Windows. Its not a good option, and may we revisit the illegal part...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am not quite certain of the point being made here, but this forum does not support the use of anything except CERTIFIED Microsoft (or of course other systems) installations.
It is not a question of "if it is a bad idea or not"
It is simply illegal and NOT supported on this site.
No discussion will be entered into about its merits or otherwise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since no info on the make and model of the system is given we can't find the recovery partition information that may help you.
Does your system have a sticker on it somewhere stating the original OS that was loaded on the system?
If the issue is a infection it very well could be resolved with some help from our malware staff.
This could save all data and programs but you would have to tell us what you would like to do so we can continue.