Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gmail

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
A free Gmail account blocks emails with executables as attachments. Short of possibly having the sender rename the attachment before sending it, I can not find a way around this.

However, I see that Google offers a premiere edition of Gmail for $50 per year ( http://www.google.co...s/features.html ). Does anyone know if this premiere edition would allow emails with executables as attachments?

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
probably not, it's generally accepted as standard practice in the email world to NOT allow EXEs (even inside of zips) for obvious reasons

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I agree with what you're saying about EXE files. However, the file extension in question that it is blocking is INS. INS files are listed in Gmail's list of what is considered an executable file. But I can't be the only person out there who needs this file type emailed to me on a regular basis. Google has to have some kind of way around this, even if it's to pay a fee. No?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Executable file attachments aren't appearing anywhere

Google Apps doesn't allow sending or receiving executable (.exe) and some other types of file attachments. Such attachments don't appear in either the Outlook or Gmail interface.

Which file types can I not send or receive?

"ade", "adp", "bat", "chm", "cmd", "com", "cpl", "exe",
"hta", "ins", "isp", "jse", "lib", "mde", "msc", "msp",
"mst", "pif", "scr", "sct", "shb", "sys", "vb", "vbe",
"vbs", "vxd", "wsc", "wsf", "wsh"

http://www.google.co...p;answer=163644 from the google apps help page

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Is there a way, then, at the very least, to turn off the notification that is sent to the email sender when an email is not delivered due to having an executable attachment?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i don't specifically have an answer to that, but typically you'd want the sender to get the notification so that they know you didn't get the mail and why

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
That's my issue. I AM getting the email, just not at Gmail. I have all of my email from another email account forwarded to my Gmail account. (I do this so I will be able to send and receive emails from this other account from my cell phone.) So when someone sends me an executable attachment, I am getting it at the original account, but it is not being forwarded to my Gmail account. This is fine; I can live without these emails being forwarded. But as a result of the Gmail blocked attachments, though I am getting the email at my original account, the senders are getting an email from Gmail saying their email failed delivery. And they're all confused as to why it's coming from Gmail when they didn't send it to Gmail.