Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade Ram from 2GB to 3 or 3.5GB?

• Please log in to reply

Treize

Treize

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6ghz
RAM: 2GB DDR2 (currently installed)

Is it worth it to buy another 2GB DDR2 module when windows will only recognize 3.5GB? Or should I just buy a 1GB Module and bring my RAM to 3GB? What are the pros and cons, will you be able to see a major difference between 3.0 to 3.5?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
3.0 to 3.5 not worth the cost to upgrade.
You don't mention if you are running 32 bit or 64 bit version of Win 7.
32 bit OS you are correct will only notice 3.5 gigs. A 64 bit version is capable of seeing a lot more memory but that will also depend on what the total memory capacity of the motherboard is.
Since you don't mention the type of motherboard you have I take it you have checked into this and know it will accept 4 gigs of memory?
The difference between 2 gigs and 3 gigs won't be extreme but you will notice a difference in the amount of time it takes to open a program and the amount of programs you can have running at one time.

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks for the response, I'm using Win 7 32bit OS. For some reason when I built it I skimmed on the RAM and just used 2GB, now my RAM is sitting in its slot all alone and needs company. So I just needed to know if it even made sense to put another 2 GB chip in. The difference between 1GB and 2GB seems to be around $20

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To go from 2 gig to 3.5 gigs would in my opinion be worth the extra 20 dollars. That gig and a half of extra memory will help you alot. Just make sure you match the existing memory so there are no compatibility issues.

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 July 2010 - 01:32 PM.

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thanks, I was leaning that way but I needed an enabler. What is your opinion in mixing brands, I havent had an issue before but I'm wondering would I have better results matching with the original RAM module (Crucial)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would match memory again as it eliminates the possibility of compatibility issues.

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Darn, well I installed the 2nd RAM Module (same type and vendor). Windows 7 only shows 3GB usable though, darn! the only difference is my Window Experience Index went up to 7.2 lol.

Should I just return the 2GB and get 1GB module?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
where are you getting the usable memory info?

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2010 - 03:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and see what it says.
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show
System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

Treize

Treize

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Microsoft Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack number: Not Shown

CPU type: AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor
Memory: 4.00 GB (3.00GB Usable)

I also have EVGA GeForce 9500 GT installed

Edited by Treize, 08 July 2010 - 04:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It shows 4 gig total but since it is a 32 bit OS then 3 gigs as usable is normal.
You could go to just 3 gigs but that won't change the usable amount unless the system is already subtracting what the system is using.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The difference is cost was $20.
You would probably lose that in doing the RMA.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree, restocking fee will eat that up with no problem.
I would keep the 4 gigs and enjoy it. If you decide to upgrade to a 64 bit OS you have the 4 gigs already.