Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has a memory problem

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model again and I will try to find the correct memory for it quickly. Sorry been working on things here at home.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 July 2010 - 01:47 PM.

Advertisements

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
No problem. Doing the same here. There is no real big rush as I won't have the cash until next week anyway.

Toshiba
Satellite L305D-S5900

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Does this look like the memory in your system now?
Here

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Sorry I took so long. It has been a long full day. It kind of does but not for sure. I'll check it first thing tomorrow morning and get back with you.

Thank you for everything.
BT

Edited by bigtrucks, 08 July 2010 - 08:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let us know how everything turns out or if you need further assistance.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
That looks too long and there are too many chips on it.Mine is a Samsung 2Rx18(1GB) PC2-5300S-55-12-A3. It only has 4 chips on either side. Mine is only 23/4" L and 11/2" H. They are short sticks. I can send a pick if need be.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm I think I have the right ones now. Try looking HERE
The main page for the memory for your system on the above site is HERE

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 July 2010 - 05:42 PM.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Hmmm I think I have the right ones now. Try looking HERE

You hit the nail right on the head.But WOW! they sure are pricey aren't they. My son had suggested trying New Egg,Tiger Direct or try BestBuy/Staples. I think Staples may be a little pricey as well.I'm not use to buying ram so I wouldn't have a clue to what would be a good price.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NewEgg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Anytime. I did link to the 2 gig modules and I hope that is what you wanted to get. If not let me know and i can link the others if you wish.
Please let us know how everything works out.

Advertisements

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

NewEgg

Thank you.Yes the 2 gig is fine. I was actually thing of putting 2-2gigs(4gigs total)in it anyway. I went there last night and viewed what they had. Is there a particular brand that I should steer away from? I know that sometimes the cheaper the price the cheaper the product on some electronics but not sure if it applies to memory sticks as well. Don't want to by a part that I will have to replace in another year and a half again. It seems strange that my lappy isn't even 2 years old yet and the memory is already bad. I have to hunt down my paper work on it to see if it's covered in that area. Anywho, I'll get back with you on that and let you know how everything went.

Now to the desktop.A very strange/weired thing happy to it between last night and this morning. As you know I was having "shut Down" problems,last night I was on it searching the links you gave me and the AVG Reg. Shield popped up(which was unusual)warning me of 2 cookies it had detected. I proceeded to remove them but for some unknown reason that particular window froze. Nothing else just the avg reg shield. I tried clicking on the X and the word close on it but nothing. I went to task and had to end it there. I'm not exactly sure what the cookies were but I do remember reading something at the bottom o the page about it having something to do with SAS(SuperAnti..)It finally closed and I wasn't really too worried as I had planned on doing the repair anyway. I get back to the links and was trying to do a comparison and every 10-15 min the Windows update kept popping up telling me that the updates were ready to be installed and that the it would be restarting the computer in 15 min. I clicked on the Later but as I knew if I let it go the computer would freeze and I would have to do a hard shut down. After three times of me hitting Later I got annoyed and I was tired so I just walked away from it and figured I'll just do the repair first thing this morning. To my surprise it rebooted on its own. So I thought I'd try and restart it just to make sure it would reboot and it did. I haven't done anything different other then to do the restore but even then it would not reboot. Any ideas as to what would have caused it to start working right again?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm partial to either Crucial or OCZ memory. Never had a issue with either one.
It sounds like one of the updates may have resolved the issue for you.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Thanks! That helps a lot. I'll now be able to look for a deal for a pair of 2gig's next week. Thanks for the help and for being patient with me. I have learned a lot in just these few days :) . Now I'm off to working with Blueline on my desktop and trying to update it on my lap with out losing any of my data. You've done a fantastic job! :)

BT

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks and I appreciate your patience and willingness to learn. Please let me know how everything works out for you in the end. Congrats on getting your desktop issue resolved and hopefully the new memory will help on your other system.
:) :) :) :)