Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java?

• Please log in to reply

Lucrornimium

Lucrornimium

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Is Java a necessary language framework to have installed? As far as I can tell nothing I have installed needs it to function. I don't want it running in the background as my PC only has 2Gigs of Memory and I want to free up as much of it as possible.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
java is a pretty important language framework for the internet. a lot of sites use it and many web based applications do as well. are you suggesting that you've got some form of java process running continually when you're not on the internet or what?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello Lucrornimium

Java is not a must program to have installed so you are free to remove this program if you wish. If you need it at a later date you won't have a problem re-installing this.

Regards

Lucrornimium

Lucrornimium

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

java is a pretty important language framework for the internet. a lot of sites use it and many web based applications do as well. are you suggesting that you've got some form of java process running continually when you're not on the internet or what?

Oh, no, merely the process that automatically checks for updates

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well that's easy, disable autoupdate http://www.java.com/...xml#auto_update