Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to find problems

• Please log in to reply

brewfish

brewfish

• Pip
  • 1 posts
windows xp says it's infected, I have malwarebytes, spybot, antivirus, and it did not reveal problems; I did install spy emergency and it said I had no infections, I went to windows 98se to see if I could get to the internet and find a solution. Windows 98 has problems of its own. I ran spybot on 98 and changed the way Java runs to make Opera run programs not supported by IE. I am able to find this site as well as Major Geeks. Can I download to a cd to run on the xp programs to cure? How can I get xp to run programs I have within the xp system? How do I know what my problems are? I have opted to have my xp and 98 show hidden files as directed by Major Geeks but I have not followed through because I don't know what to do for the next step. Did I jump ahead of Major Geeks when I found this site and joined here also?Starting with 98, is there any hope for this OS? Is there any hope for xp OS? Thanx for your time. My mouse is jumpy on 98 and I have to redirect it to move to the prompt that I want, very carefully. Hope all this makes some sense to you. It makes none to me.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
IF you can get your 98 to burn a bootable CD you can try Avira's rescue disk:

http://dlpro.antivir...m-common-en.iso

Instructions here:

http://www.techmixer...us-and-malware/

Ron

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Please reply here. No more PMs unless it looks like I forgot you.
Your HJT log looks OK now.

Can you run OTL, Quick Scan and post the log?

Ron