Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with new build

• Please log in to reply

ZeroActual

ZeroActual

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently bought the parts listed below and put them together with the help of my brother (who knows a lot more about computers than me). Once we got everything together I turned it on but nothing showed up on the monitor. In addition, it will not turn off unless I flip the switch on the PSU and the light on the motherboard's OC gear won't turn off. I tried the first seven steps on geekstogo with no results. I was wondering if anyone had any advice more specific to my components.

Processor- AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX925WFGIBOX

HDD- Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Graphics card- MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Monitor- Hanns·G HZ201HPB Black 20" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15000:1(1000:1) Built-in Speakers

CD Drive- ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Case- NZXT LEXA S LEXS - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply- CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Motherboard- MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Military Class Components/OC Genie/CPU Core Unlock

Wireless- D-Link DWA-556 IEEE 802.11n (draft) IEEE 802.11g IEEE 802.11b PCI Express Xtreme Desktop Adapter Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA, WPA2)

I obviously also have a keyboard mouse and speakers but i dont think those are any problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Where's your memory? You haven't listed any, I hope you've put some in there :)

ZeroActual

ZeroActual

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM

Forgot to put that on there. Is it a big problem if the RAM is 1.6v and the motherboard is 1.5v?

I just replaced the motherboard and processor but it didn't fix anything...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the memory out, assuming there's a PC or case speaker connected, it should beep.
Also take the graphics card out, it should beep.

If it beeps with one of the above missing, it usually means either that component is faulty or the board doesn't like it.

ZeroActual

ZeroActual

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I took the video card and memory out separately and never heard any beeps. My speakers do work and they were on full volume. I tried using a different video card, hard drive, power supply, monitor, video cable.... I don't get it.

ZeroActual

ZeroActual

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok. So the RAM i have is triple channel and the mobo needs double channel. I didn't know that double or triple doesn't just mean how many sticks there are. I hope that's the problem...

Does anyone know if its a problem that the RAM needs 1.6v and the mobo says 1.5v?