Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DLL/driver errors

• Please log in to reply

mewgirl

mewgirl

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I try to register stdole32.tlb, it says "STDOLE.TLB was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found." ~"...appears to not be a dll or ocx file."~ The reason I am trying to install and or reigster the three versions of stdole is because I get an iKernal error when attempting to install an updated verison of a driver (which seems to use InstallShield). This is the same iKernal error that has 6 or so other posts I've seen on this forum, all of which were answered with a mere link that 404's. When I try to unregister stdole32.tdl, the same error appears as when I try to register it.

If there are any services that need to be running for this, that is also a possiblity (one that tech helpers often forget). Windows Management Instrumentation WAS running when I did this.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can't register/unregister .tlb type of file (only dll, or ocx.....as your error says :))

Please, describe your issues.

Edited by Broni, 02 July 2010 - 11:46 PM.

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Then why did the other two stdole tlb files register successfully, why does the Microsfot KB article about this issue say to install and register these three tlb files, and why are you asking me to "describe an issue" when I have already done so?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What's the link to MS article?
What driver are you trying to install and what is the full text of error message, you're getting?

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If I had a link to the KB, I would have posted it =\. But since Imentioned what it said, a link is unessecary anyway. (When I am doner using a tabI tend to close it... not sure if some people here may have some really odd habits of never closing tabs.)

I don't know what the driver is for, nor does it matter, since iKernal is related to InstallShield which is used on many, many, many application installs and since the error occurs on many, many, many application installs.

If you do not believe that something that actually happened two days ago is ever possible to happen ever, then you can attempt to help based on the other thing I posted, which would be the only thing I posted, if I hd not been able to find any other info or if the reistration had worked on all three tlb files instead of only two of them.

But, if you don't know that iKernal is related toInstallShield (at least within the first 5 pages of Google iot is the only thing that is mentioned), then it seems rather unlikely that you can help me.

Perhaps you know that iKernal can either be because of InstallShield, or because of some other things. But if that is the case, why not start to mention the other things so I can look at them?

One article said to download different iKernal installers based on which version the setup file lists under properties. That version is 6.X (which was the only differentation needed). However, running the installer given did notstop the IKernal error message from showing up.

The error, which I though I had written out, says Error installing iKernal.exe (0x100000)". The amount of zeroes may be incorrect because I have always been told that the numbers given after such errors are never useful. I omitted a quotation mark, but this board's text area does not function properly (on any of the myraid of computers I frequently use) so fixing it would require mass deletion. The setup file icon is the blue, rounded square, not the gray, sharp square.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I doubt your kind of attitude will bring you much help around here, but good luck in any case...

mewgirl

mewgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It is not really "my kind of attitude," but rather the attitude of attemting to tell someone that something is impossible, even though the one you are talking to has just done it, or asking for explanations that were already given in the original post... generally these behaviors are frowned upon, perhaps not at this board, but anywhere else, such posts would be ridiculed by the admins bbecause reading an entire post is important, unless it's long and you state that you only read part of it and, if needed, which part.

In the case of a tech support topic, it rarely makes much sense to read or reply to only part of it, unless there is something along the lines of a "main" question and then some explanation, or something else that doesn't really apply here since it's only one paragraph.