Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Freezes

• Please log in to reply

eaterb

eaterb

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This may be answered in another post, but I had trouble searching. I did see a few posts about locking up while logging off, but I figured this might be unique.

I have XP SP2 - fully patched. We have two users set up on my PC. When I am logged on I may be away from the computer for a while, and my wife may log in. She is fine using the PC, but when she logs off the computer freezes and the only solution is reboot using the power button. I have scanned the computer for viruses and spyware. The system is clean. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Brett

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! You have two user accounts set up and only have this trouble when your wife tries to log off, never when you log off? When she logs off, it hangs and you have to use the power button, no keyboard for ctrl + alt + del? I found this on M$ knowledge base http://support.micro...kb;en-us;328934
It says the fix is SP2 which you have. This talks about the problem being caused by more than one user being logged in. Just a thought.... have you tried logging off or having your wife log you off before she logs in?

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey guys,

I used to have the problem, when one day i took the habit of saving everything and logging off, because the effect of this is the same as when you put the winxp in sleep mode.

its the same thing as taking a dog and freezes it, but when you revive it the dog it dies, cryogenic stuff doesnt work well.

So its the same thing , when xp tries to revive your first account it tries do reexecute some progs that were shutdown by the second account so theres a conflict.

Hope this helps you understand what i mean, but theres a solution to all this please post a reply i would be very interested.