Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Cleanup not deleting restore points

• Please log in to reply

KushelDuv

KushelDuv

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I found recently that my restore points were accounting for about 30% of the 40%+ fragmentation on my computer, so I went to use Window's Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent one.

I started Disk Cleanup with 'Run as Administrator' clicked on 'Clean up' under System Restore & Shadow Copies.

However, it did not delete the restore points, I tried three times, rebooting the computer after each attempt, and the restore points were never deleted. I eventually had to just turn SR off and back on to clear the restore points

I am on an HP laptop running Win 7 Home Premium. I have never had this issue on my desktop which runs ultimate.

Does anyone know what might cause this behavior?

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Vista generally won't let you delete System Restore Points (usually because they are all hidden and you have to gain access to each folder)If you want to save space, change the setting so windows can only use a user specified percent of the partition, so whenever a new SRP is created, the oldest one will be deleted, hope this helped :)