Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus Program

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello all:

My free trial of AVAST will expire in a couple of days and wanted to ask the Experts what other free Anti Virus Program would be recommended. I love AVAST but can't pay for it right now.

Any suggestions ???

Thank U !!!

simplee55 :)

Edited by SweetTech, 04 July 2010 - 06:19 PM.
moved to applications forum--ST.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You simply need to re-register Avast every 12 months (free): http://www.avast.com...e-antivirus.php

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Just to clarify - there are two versions of Avast Antivirus. One is free, but the other one (called 'Pro') is not free.

As Broni says, you can re-register the free version every 12 months without paying anything. They make you register it evry year basically so that they always have your current email address.

Main difference between the free and 'Pro' version is the free version cannot block malicious scripts when your web-browsing, which does mean you're more vulnerable to those types of threats. But for a free antivirus I think Avast still takes some beating and I recommend it over the other free ones.

There is a less well known one from China however called "Rising Antivirus", which seems to be fully loaded with all the features of a commercial one, if you can put up with it's quirky interface: http://www.freerav.com/

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 05 July 2010 - 10:14 AM.