Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed Windows XP over Vista now XP will not run without OS CD in r

• Please log in to reply

RainbowAtDawn

RainbowAtDawn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Good Evening,

I had Vista on my Dell XPS 630i for 2 years without issue but for my new job which is done from home it is required to use XP. This is due to compatibility issues with their systems.

So I spend 300 dollars for a retail copy of Windows XP Pro. I try to install after 20 hours and much searching I found the solution. It was incompatible drivers for the SATA along with a host of other drivers. I found I could create an .iso of my XP with the drivers "slipped" in, I am sure many of you know what I am talking about. But before yesterday I had never even burned a bootable CD in my life. After creating the bootable XP.iso I was able to install.

It ran for a day, then I got the blue screen with the error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL with the culprit being the nvgts.sys

I reinstalled and updated my drivers again. I am typing this from the system, but here is the kicker if I take the .iso CD out of the cd rom I get the blue screen with the nvgts.sys error page again.

When I look at my device manager everything is fine but 2 PCI devices are yellow question marks.

Thank you in advance for helping me, I start training for my new job on the 13th and must have this working.

I am sure someone will ask me for stats about my system but I do not know enough to know what information is valuable. It is a Dell XPS 630i

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,529 posts
Hi RainbowAtDawn :)

When I look at my device manager everything is fine but 2 PCI devices are yellow question marks.

You are most likely missing the drivers that are specific to the board and the XP OS.

Go to Dell XPS 630i drivers and get whats needed. Start with the chipset drivers.

123runner