Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mswrd632.wpc error, followed by shutdown

• Please log in to reply

merryryan

merryryan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I'm posting this from my employers network.

We have a small network which runs a particular legal workflow system. Up until today, we have had very few problems with the network. However, as I am the office administrator for the network (and nobody else here knows much about PC's), I installed the latest update from Windows, and carried on work as normal.

Some time later in the day, after the system had run a virus check (which it does everyday, on each computer), the MSWord2000 started displaying an error, each time I opened our letterhead template from the LegalOffice workflow system saying "mswrd632.wpc error translator not found" and giving you only the option to click okay. Then, Word would open with a blank page.

After about an hour of this happening repeatedly, I assumed that the really obvious restart option might help. So I restarted it. At this point, the computer came up with the error saying that it had been shut down unexpectedly, and that it needed to be opened in safe mode. I tried all the options that the computer gave me, but it just got slightly into the windows opening screen and then would restart the machine again.

Obviously, as this is a small company, we need this machine working again as soon as possible, so I'd be grateful if anybody had any ideas of how to fix this or if this is an inoperable error.

Thanks
Merry

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Merryryan? and welcome to GotoG,

You will need to boot from a WindowsXP CD and enter the recovery console. Press "R" once the CD gets to where it asks you for what you want to do. It will go to a black screen and ask you what Windows installation that you want to log onto, (normally 1: C:\Windows). Press the number 1 and then it will ask you for what the admin password is. Unless someone actually entered a password, it is normally just press the enter key. If it works you will see a DOS prompt like c:\windows\. Then type chkdsk /r and press enter it will then test the hard drive integrity and repair any errors it may find. If someone has established an admin password, hunt him/her down and punch him/her as hard as you can, cuz then the recovery will take a bit longer if they do not remember said password.

If this allows you to restart and you still have the doc problem, I'd try the following:

Since it seemed fine before an AV scan, perhaps that scan found something that it did not like and sent it to its virus vault. You may want to check if it did anything like that and reverse it, (if possible). If that looks ok, then try this...

The easiest fix I can think of would be to use the system restore feature and roll your system back to before the update. Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools and left click on System Restore. It will ask you what you want to do, (which is restore to a previous restore point). All Windows updates will have created such a point that you can restore to. Choose a point before the update and hold thumbs.

If System Restore is disabled then you may have to look at other systems on the network that are still working and see what the difference is. Either a reload of Office2000 or the legal doc program.

Hope this helps and good luck. Let me know how it works out. Sometimes those legal doc programs have special routines above and beyond what normal word processing would.

merryryan

merryryan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The computer expert who deals with all our problems ended up coming in today, as we just couldn't get anywhere with it. He managed to fix it, we think. Thanks for your help though.

Merry :) :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If at all possible could you post what the repair person found. That way it could possibly help others.

Thanks