Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

repairing infected exe files

• Please log in to reply

philipos

philipos

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Can anyone help? I have several important infected(trojan) exe files stored in quarantine. i am using avira antivirus but i cant find a way to repair and restore those files. can i download a program which will do this?

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
Hi

Welcome to Geekstogo. I'll be helping you with this problem.

• Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described. I would recommend printing them out, if you can, as you can check off each step as you complete it. If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.

• Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you

I'm a little puzzled here, you say "I have several important infected(trojan) exe files". What files are these?

philipos

philipos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi thanks for your response, on a side note i see you are from leeds, i'm from leeds too, living and working in china now, anyway as you might have gathered from my post i am not too familiar with this type of thing so please bear with me. I am not sure how i a can provide you with the information you requested, is there a way to get a log from the avira quarantine table? otherwise all i can say is that it seems to be mostly TR dropper.gen and TR/VB, i hope this is useful otherwise let me know how i can proide with more useful info. thanks in advance, phil

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
I'm not understanding why you want these files back. If they're trojans, they're bad and not wanted. What are the important files we're trying to recover?

cheers

philipos

philipos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hi,they are work related files(i am a teacher) mostly word documents, pdf files and some pics which i had on a usb stick. I took the stick to my school to show ppt's and it was infected from the school p.c. When i put the stick into my netbook the files were quarantined by avira. I was hoping there would be some way of salvaging these files as i had been led to believe. I'm sorry for taking up your time if this is not the case.

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts
It may be possible, but I need to know the exact infection that these files contracted. Safest bet would be to delete them, as reopening them would probably infect your machine

philipos

philipos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok thanks for your time.