Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two BSOD's in less than 24 hours...

• Please log in to reply

rpvee

rpvee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Last night, completely out of the blue, a blue screen of death appeared on my laptop for the first time ever saying something about dumping physical memory. I freaked out and did a hard shutdown on my laptop by just holding down the power key. I turned it back on and it's been fine since then until a few minutes ago when I got the same screen, again out of the blue. I managed to write down one file name that seemed to be listed:

nvlddmkm.sts

I think the extension was .sts, but in my quick handwriting, I'm not too sure about the "t'.

Again, I did the hard shutdown, and again, everything seems fine again upon turning it back on, but now I'm very concerned, because just earlier today when I asked about the first one on Yahoo! Answers, someone said that "IF it happens again, you should worry :)", and now it's happened again.

What's wrong, and what do I to to stop these random crashes? I'm not very experienced in software or hardware, so please don't be too complex in your answers without explanations... lol.

Thanks so much!!!

Also, these days Google Chrome has been crashing a lot. My computer's hard drive is low on memory because of large files and folders (500 GB drive now down to about 10-30 GB)... if that has anything to do with it. Might not, but I figured I'd mention it just in case.

Again, thanks!!

Edited by rpvee, 05 July 2010 - 09:00 PM.

Advertisements

rpvee

rpvee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm in the middle of talking to HP's tech support chat (my laptop's an HDX 16). They had me open the device manager and under "Display Adapters", there are many "unknown device" things with small yellow triangles with exclamation points in them. HP thinks this is the cause and will have me install new drivers, and that will fix the problem. Does this sound right to you guys?