Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new system for gaming

• Please log in to reply

knightwolf

knightwolf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok this is my first build and would like some help to make sure parts are compatible, and acdeuatic for my needs. i would like a system that will run civ 5 and sims 3 with max everything and be smooth, and be upgradeable. trying to keep the cost of the total build under $900 if possible. this is what i have came up with:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor $160

MSI 770-C45 ATX AMD Motherboard $80

A-DATA 4GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $188

HITACHI Deskstar HD32000 IDK/7K (0S00164) 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $140

Palit NE39800TFHD02 GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $110

SILVERSTONE DA700 700W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply $100

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders $100

Grand Total $896

Any help will be nice. Thank you

Advertisements

MedStudent.003Hz

MedStudent.003Hz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Welcome to GTG.com.

Everything looks good, but I do not see where you listed what case you will be using? I also do not see where you have picked out an optical drive, or are you using a case and optical drive(s) you currently have?

One other thing, instead of buying one 2 TB Harddrive, why not go for two 1 TB HDs so that you can back up to one? Just a suggestion unless you already have a plan to backup your data.

If you have any questions regarding any of your hardware or of thinking of changes, you can look at the MSI 770-C45 Test Reports at MSI.com.

edit: fixed url in link.

Edited by MedStudent.003Hz, 12 July 2010 - 03:48 PM.

knightwolf

knightwolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I will be using me prior optical drive which is a Sata drive. the case i may recycle as well, or i may be getting one for free, so i waited on the case until i know for sure. i do know if i do get the case it will be a coolmaster, which one not sure. i had plan to add a second 1Tb drive later, after the inital build. thanks for the feedback.