Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

JustinD

JustinD

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I was just dusting the inside of my computer and looking for the 6 pin pci-e connector, so i was touching some wires, carefully trying to not touch anything. So I saw dust at the back of my computer that was inside of my power supply so i blew lightly in the power supply, but I don't think that's what caused my computer not to turn on. The LED on the motherboard is still on, so I don't think its the power, it might be something with the wiring I think, but I don't know which ones. Thanks in advance !

Advertisements

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
What's the symptoms of a friend motherboard? My cousin said I might have a fried motherboard, so I was wondering what kind of symptoms it has.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts
The symptoms of a fried motherboard are quite long. Lets not go there yet.

I hope you had the power off and the computer unplugged from the wall while you were dusting.
You probably knocked a wire off.

By "not boot" can you be more decriptive?
Is it making any noises?
Is there anything displayed on the monitor?
Do you know if the hard drive is making any noise?
Is the fan on the CPU turning?

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Since you`ve opened the case and took out the dust inside, make sure the connectors from the power button aren`t out. The connector for the power button is on the lower right side of the motherboard. In case it still doesn`t work, maybe there is a problem with the power button itself (just go with trial and error until u solve the solution). If you know what you`re doing, take the power button connector out and try to do a short with the tip of a screwdriver(it`s like u`d press the power button in order to boot up ur computer). In case none of these work, there might be something with the motherboard.

Edited by War/G.asm, 08 July 2010 - 02:36 PM.

JustinD

JustinD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I don't know the monitor would open but not like load the motherboard etc, because my computer won't even turn on. Like literally my computer usually opens and fan and processor turns on, but now there's nothing going on, my power connectors are all plugged in still and i even took out the ram to check if its faulty ram but its not :3

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,528 posts

By "not boot" can you be more decriptive?
Is it making any noises?
Is there anything displayed on the monitor?
Do you know if the hard drive is making any noise?
Is the fan on the CPU turning?

Can you answer the questions?

Are you getting any beeps from it.

The light on the board only indicates you have 5vdc.