Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new hard drive a problem

• Please log in to reply

sean12xu

sean12xu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I've just popped open my Sony Vaio NR21J/S laptop to put a new hard drive inside and my setup looks like this (sorry in advance for the bad quality images):

(IDE 2.5" 40gb Hard Drive)

Posted Image#

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't fitted a hard drive before but have done a lot of research online before I finally gave in. The problem is my setup doesn't seem to look like anyone elses. I have the caddy and my new hard drive ready to go, but what is the circuit board piece for?

It slots nicely into the IDE slot on the mother board but it doesn't fit on the hard drive properly. As far as I knew it was a case of putting the new hard drive in the caddy, fastening it all and lining it up and sliding it in the IDE slot, but it won't fit which leads me to believe the circuit board must play a serious part (no sh*t Sherlock, I know)

If anyone could shed some light on exactly how I install this I'll be grateful.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in what location was the "circuit board" before you took it apart? put all of the original components back together they way that they were, then hold the new drive up in the same orientation and see what's different