Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Displayt Problems - Possible driver issues?

• Please log in to reply

jdnimmo

jdnimmo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I’ve had some problems with my laptop, I’ll give you some history of the issues:

It’s a Dell XPS M1330 laptop with nvidia display card

Some months ago I had problems with my display driver – the screen would flicker then black out before coming back on with a message that the display driver had stopped working but had recovered.

I then started to get situations where the screen would suddenly turn to ‘psychedelic’ vertical coloured lines followed by the laptop restarting itself.

Then one day the laptop would not start correctly – it would show only a thick black line down with middle with other coloured lines down either side (sometimes white, sometimes blue etc.) but behind this the computer seemed to be starting as normal, the usual sounds and lights etc and would shut down if I hit Alt+F4 then enter

Occasionally it would start correctly and when it did I installed the latest display driver which did not solve the problem. I then installed the original drivers I got with the laptop (all the drivers I could) but again this didn’t solve the problem.

For no apparent reason it then seemed to correct itself and worked for a couple of months, however, it has now gone back to its old habits. When I managed to start it correctly I re-installed Windows Vista (in the process wiping the computer and I was hoping the problem too) But I have the same screen when I try to start, though it still seems to be working behind the blank screen.

Is there anything that can be done?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You will have to take it to a PC repair shop and have the screen's electronic components checked out as it may be there that the problem lies, not a software issue.