Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying more RAM for XP?

• Please log in to reply

mosquito

mosquito

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I bought a new pc last year and it sufficed well enough in it's job to be used for surfing the net but recently I have got back into gaming big time and my pc is having massive problems with virtual memory owing to the fact it only has a miserable 90+ MB ram and I've really come to hate Windows XP.

I have no idea where to start with this but is it possible that I could buy more ram for this pc and if so how would it work, would it end up costing so much that I'd be better off with a new computer? (I really cannot afford to replace this pc btw)

Many thanks in advance,
hope I posted this in the right place!

Rach.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

If you know the make and model of your system, OR the make and model of your motherboard, just go to www.crucial.com

Do a search for either and they will tell you exactly what you can put into your system. Also, if you buy from them, they will guarantee it works or your money back!!

BTW.. anyone sticking XP on a system with less than 512megs of ram is bordering on slow insanity :tazz:

Murray

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
This thread will give you some background information on getting more ram too.
Nixx

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

BTW.. anyone sticking XP on a system with less than 512megs of ram is bordering on slow insanity  :tazz:

View Post

You said it man. I have a friend who is convinced that 128MB of RAM is enough to run his games and programs in Windows XP.... Totally doesn't reach potential...

mosquito

mosquito

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Howdy:

If you know the make and model of your system, OR the make and model of your motherboard, just go to www.crucial.com

Do a search for either and they will tell you exactly what you can put into your system.  Also, if you buy from them, they will guarantee it works or your money back!!

BTW.. anyone sticking XP on a system with less than 512megs of ram is bordering on slow insanity  :tazz:

Murray

View Post

At the time I had put my trust in the retailer who had no qualms about such a low RAM spec as I didn't have a clue about RAM and XP back then.

Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out. ;)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
At the time XP first came out, that's what everyone thought.. However, useage taught everyone different..

As you found out, XP will run on that amount of ram, just very poorly!!!

Murray