Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to run malicious software removal tool through task scheduler in X

• Please log in to reply

valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi! I am using Windows XP and want to be able to set microsofts malicious software removal tool to run automatically in task scheduler but not sure how? When I get to the part where you have to select the program to run I can find where the msrt program is. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the malicious software removal tool is a one time deal. it's designed for a specific infection/security issue, and it runs once after you install the update, then doesn't run again (or need to be run again) until microsoft updates the tool

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi! I am using Windows XP and want to be able to set microsofts malicious software removal tool to run automatically in task scheduler but not sure how? When I get to the part where you have to select the program to run I can find where the msrt program is. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thanks!

You don't. It's a once-monthly thing through Windows Update.

As stated on the Microsoft web site for this program:

This tool is not a replacement for an anti-virus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an anti-virus product.

Microsoft will release an updated version of this tool on the second Tuesday of each month.