Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio device problem

• Please log in to reply

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I found the problem, after searching the Dell website for your motherboard it gave me 2 drivers:
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
and
ALC888 HD Audio
If you would try to install High Definition Audio, then it won`t recognize the driver at all.

Go to this page:
http://support.dell....oads/index.aspx

Select Drivers, then go to Choose Model: choose Desktops -> Vostro -> 200. After that from the Operating System list, select Windows XP and you`ll see 2 drivers (the ones I mentioned). Download first ALC888 HD Audio and install it. In case that one doesn`t work try the first one.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Add on card is a sound card that would fit into one of the slots inside the system.
have you tried the steps war outlined in his post #8

blueninth

blueninth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
did work says driver fail

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have you tried downloading the drivers from the Dell Support site?

blueninth

blueninth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yes i have

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Have you tried downloading the drivers from the Dell Support site?

This was the first suggested steps I gave to make sure we had the exact drivers for that model number system.

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
And it still doesn`t work?

blueninth

blueninth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
nope it keeps saying driver failure or error code 28 so much i have checked many times, but the audio codes and stuff are said to be working fine but the audio device on HD says the drivers are not installed. but i have a CD that came with the PC and it says drivers and utilities, i tried that and i did a system test i could hear sound for some parts of the test but not the play back surround sound. my moms boyfriends also took it to the shop and he said the people at the shop said it better off buying a new computer, but the weird thing is that when i did the system test on the CD i could hear sound i just need audio period. :)

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, I didn`t check the link and thought U gave him another one. I saw now.

You can try this aswell. Usually when you install the "wrong" drivers for a Realtek sound card it doesn`t take the new ones (sometimes). When you tried to install the drivers from the Dell website, a folder on C:\ was created with the filed needed to install the driver. Go to Device Manager and select the sound card, then right click on it -> Properties -> Update Driver -> select Install from a specific location -> Don`t search, I will choose the driver to install -> Browse for the folder where ALC888 has unpacked the files and select the .inf file -> a window will pop up telling you ALC888 Sound card, press Next, let it install and if there`s no error, then you should have solved the problem.

blueninth

blueninth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
were can i find the sound card

Advertisements

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
It`s the one with the Yellow Question Mark in front of it in Device Manager.

blueninth

blueninth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it wont let me update

War/G.asm

War/G.asm

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Have you tried all the steps and still nothing? Or when you try to select the inf file it says something like "There is no info for your device"?

blueninth

blueninth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ive have tried all the steps but nothing when i try to update nothing happens nothing pops up at all. i check the properties it says that its not digital signed

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may be a long shot but try this.
OK then lets make sure the audio is enabled in the bios.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen tap the Del key normally and it should get you into the BIOS
In there find either the Advanced, Onboard or Integrated Peripherals areas.
Using the keyboard arrow keys scroll down to the Audio entry and make sure it is Enabled and if not then look at the bottom of the screen it will tell you how to adjust or modify the values to Enable it.
When done make sure to click F10 to Save and Exit with the setting.
You will then be asked to click Y to Verify the Save and Exit
The system will now reboot with the new settings saved.
Let me know if this helps.