Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express not protected from Viruses

• Please log in to reply

simplee55

simplee55

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Hello:

I need help if possible.

I have attached two SNAPSHOTS for you to view regarding my AVAST program to Scan Outlook Express.

I went into Outlook Express to check my E-mail and there was a strange E-mail that I had to "Block Sender" and delete. Outlook Express is not like Yahoo mail, where you have to click the Subject Line in order to see your E-mail, Outlook Express mail is already open and leaves you naked for Viruses to infect your PC.

After I closed OE, there was a message from AVAST on my desktop regarding setting up AVAST to Scan the E-mail in OE, SNAPSHOT No. 1 will explain it. Anyway, I was just getting ready to post here to get that help so AVAST could scan OE for that purpose.

I went over to my Yahoo mail and I hadn't clicked anything yet and I got, please see SNAPSHOT No. 2, it will explain.

I immediately did a AVAST Quick Scan and 0 infections were found.

I also ran Malwarebytes and 0 infections were found.

Can someone tell me how to set up OE's Account/Properties so AVAST can start scanning my E-mail ???

Thank U !!!

simplee55 :)

Edited by simplee55, 08 July 2010 - 09:56 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts

Outlook Express mail is already open and leaves you naked for Viruses to infect your PC.

Disable the preview pane and that won't happen. Depending on the version of OE you have, it's usually in tools>options>and untick the option on the read tab. Then go to View> Layout and disable the preview pane there. If you have spam/virus protection on your ISP account, it's kind of odd for something like that to slip through. Windows Live Mail (OE's successor) would block it and flag it before an AV would detect it.

I don't know what the error message you posted is trying to communicate, so I'll let someone else handle that one.
Johanna

Edited by Johanna, 08 July 2010 - 02:18 PM.

simplee55

simplee55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Johanna:

Thanks for the reply.

It's all taken care of. I contacted AVAST's tech support and they configured OE and AVAST Mail Shield for me.

By the way, I have OE 6, forgot to mention that.

Thanks again !!!

simplee55 :)

Edited by simplee55, 08 July 2010 - 03:40 PM.