Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Help] D-Link DIR-615 Setup

• Please log in to reply

JoshJL

JoshJL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well I was in desperate need for a better source of internet, so I went out to Office Depot and found a recommended Wireless Router, I came home and ran the easy Setup everything goes fine but I have one problem.
Before I bought this router, I ran on an open internet connection detected by the Wireless that's built-in on my laptop. So.. I have no modem and when I run the setup it ask me to disconnect the cords from my previous modem and plug it into the router, and then plug the other Ethernet cord into the Modem and into my Routers internet slot. My question is, is having a modem a requirement to use the router?

I avoided all the questions and steps out about a Modem in the setup, but then it asks for the method I used to connect to the internet and it's not supplied.. So I selected the option "I don't know". It then searches for my source of internet but finds nothing, and now I'm stuck on what I should do.

Please help.. :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
All routers require a modem, either built-in to the router or as a separate component which attaches to the router.

A router with built-in modem is much easier to set up than having the two devices as separate components, but if your internet is delivered via cable (ie not via telephone network ADSL) I don't think you have any option other than buy them separately.

If, however, your on ADSL internet (telephone network) you can buy both modem & router as a single device and this is the best option. It's easier to setup, less cables and connections, and it requires less space.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 July 2010 - 06:42 AM.