Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Shuts down on its own a lot

• Please log in to reply

LillyS

LillyS

• Pip
  • 5 posts
"My computer keeps shutting down. It shuts down like a manual shutdown. No warning no blue screen. Like I pulled the plug. And other times it shows a blue screen saying something about possible hardware error and that I should check recently downloaded. And at the bottom of said blue screen it says memory dump and like a countdown. This has been happening the last week. I tried to update all of my regular programs but nothing seems to be working. Recently did a windows update, adobe update, firefox update, nvedia update. I have trend micro so I did a full scan and it doesn't register any viruses but it sometimes shuts down before it finishes so I don't know if a virus is shutting down the computer before it could be erased.

Because of the constant shut downs I am unable to produce a gmer log (like every 3 hours my computer shuts down). I've tried multiple times but it eats up 100% of my cpu. And the computer shuts down before it finishes. Can I do it in safemode? That might keep it from shutting down before its finished.

I also got a 646 error memo from a windows update that failed." I posted this in malware section because I wasn't sure if it was a virus or what but the person assisting me sent me here.

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
sounds like your computer is either overheating or some hardware is going bad. try buying a can of compressed air and opening your pc and blowing all the dust out.

good luck

BrettM WinTeam

BrettM WinTeam

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
It does sound like your computer is overheating! Try this for your error code 646:

* The solution, in a nutshell, is to disable your firewall. If you’re using McAfee Personal Firewall Plus, F-Secure Internet Security, Norton Internet Security or another Firewall vendor, see its respective support page for assistance in disabling it (temporarily). If you’re using the built-in Vista Firewall, keep reading.

* Open the Control Panel and select Security.

* Select Turn Windows Firewall on or off.

* Select Off (not recommended), click Apply and then OK.

* Back at the Windows Update screen, click the Try again button.

* The download(s) and installation should start…

* and this time successfully install. If a restart is required, make sure to re-enable your Firewall once your PC restarts.

* Though this solution will work for most Vista Update error

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Borrowed Time

Borrowed Time

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thought I would chime in with a suggestion. I had a computer that did exactly that. No warning. Just off. Just like I pulled the plug. Turned out to be bad memory. That's it. That's my suggestion.

Edited by Borrowed Time, 12 July 2010 - 04:19 PM.

LillyS

LillyS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I will try both those suggestions. First for the error 646. I hope it works! Thank you!