Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New modem, wireless router doesn't like it

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Recently my service upgraded me to ADSL2+, which although I managed a connection with via my existing modem -a Thompson Speedtouch thing-, apparently I would only get full speed with a proper compliant modem. So I have purchased a NETGEAR DM111 ADSL2+ modem to go with my NETGEAR WPN824 RangeMax wireless router.

Up until when I setup this new modem, I not only had a fine connection, but a fine wireless connection. However, with the new modem in place my router never picks it up. So therefore, no wireless network. It's fine for mum, the modem is more or less plugged right into her computer, but not so good for the rest of us. :) I'll give a laydown of my setup and if anyone could please help me in as simple, straight forward terms as possible, I'd be very greatful.

Alright, picture tutorial time:

Posted Image
That's the Speedtouch. Upon having these problems with the new setup, tried to put the Speedtouch back but it won't connect anymore. Stupid thing. EDIT: Got the Speedtouch connected again. And the router's Internet light is fine, it's sharing. So...an ancient, Thompson modem gets on better with NETGEAR wireless router than a new NETGEAR modem...What the... man. Explain?

The NEW modem however;
Posted Image
connects fine, as you can see. That's the connection I'm currently using to type this.

Posted Image
This is how everything fits together as I have labelled. Baring in mind, this setup has been working fine until the new modem. The new modem gets a connection, shares it to the PC from that lil box, but the router won't pick it up anymore.

As seen here, it has power, it's got wireless, but the Internet light remains a heart-shatteringly orange colour.
Posted Image

Any thoughts, steps to fix, ANYTHING would be appreciated. Waiting eagerly by, thank you.

Edited by Rickie, 12 July 2010 - 01:07 AM.

Advertisements

Appleoddity

Appleoddity

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is that connection to the PC in the picture a USB cable?

Some modems have a USB and an ethernet connection. You can't use both at the same time. You need to plug the PC into the router, not the modem. The modem should plug into the router. Please power cycle the modem in order to get it to come back on-line without USB plugged in.

Ultimately, based on how the old modem was configured you may have a PPPoE connection setup on the router, or you may need to set one up. Either way, your ISP should help you do that. The question to answer from the ISP is, where is the PPPoE connection established with the way it is currently configured? Is it on the modem, the computer, or the router? Is the modem in bridge mode? The ISP should be able to answer these questions and should be able to get you working.

You may also have static IP information in the router. A simple hard reset on the router may resolve the connectivity issues on the router and then all you need to do is setup your wireless configuration again and secure it.

Edited by Appleoddity, 23 July 2010 - 11:17 AM.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Is that connection to the PC in the picture a USB cable?

Some modems have a USB and an ethernet connection. You can't use both at the same time. You need to plug the PC into the router, not the modem. The modem should plug into the router. Please power cycle the modem in order to get it to come back on-line without USB plugged in.

Ultimately, based on how the old modem was configured you may have a PPPoE connection setup on the router, or you may need to set one up. Either way, your ISP should help you do that. The question to answer from the ISP is, where is the PPPoE connection established with the way it is currently configured? Is it on the modem, the computer, or the router? Is the modem in bridge mode? The ISP should be able to answer these questions and should be able to get you working.

You may also have static IP information in the router. A simple hard reset on the router may resolve the connectivity issues on the router and then all you need to do is setup your wireless configuration again and secure it.

What was an urgent problem has long been solved on another forum, so consider this topic irrelevant. :)