Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with internet connection need help ASAP!

• Please log in to reply

blacky07

blacky07

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello,

(comp= gateway laptop, with windows xp media center edition installed.)

so here's what has happened, I was having severe problems with my windows xp so i decided to do a system recovery. My computer usually has a partition saved on it which allows me to use system recovery with no disk and it puts on factory stored things back on my computer. This too was not working so i had to get my system recovery disc and do a full formatt and restore. This in turn deleted said partition and any factory stored applications and files that came with my computer. Now the problem i am facing is that i plugged an ethernet cord directly into my laptop to go onto the internet and it connected but internet explorer would ask me to work offline. I soon noticed that my network was non-existant. there is no problem with the network because other computers can and are using it. but on my laptop there is no ip or anything. i cant even search for wireless networks in range. it gives me no list of any internet i can use. it only allows me to create useless networks that dont do anything. Im very confused and i am pretty sure im missing some small detail but would much apprieciate the help. thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you need to go to the gateway website and download the drivers for your network card, and install them. then you'll be able to connect to the internet and download the rest of the missing drivers

blacky07

blacky07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for your response. just one question, do i save the driver for my network card to a disc and then transfer it over to my comp?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cdrom...flash drive..memory card... Whatever works the best for you.
Once you get the nic card working then you should be able to get the other drivers from that system.