Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected Malware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Orcitect

Orcitect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, the majority of my.... non-system files are on a secondary hard drive, so couldn't i just wipe my vista drive, reinstall it, get it clean, reconnect my other drive and get the infections out of those if they have any?

You're great, you've got a large ammount of patience, and i commend you for all the help you have given me, but if is a simpler solution, then i'd rather not waste your time, im sure being a malware warrior takes alot of time. :)

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts

Well, the majority of my.... non-system files are on a secondary hard drive, so couldn't i just wipe my vista drive, reinstall it, get it clean, reconnect my other drive and get the infections out of those if they have any?

Yes, you can do that, I'd just make sure that you scan the secondary hard drive to ensure that no infected files are on it, and if they are to remove them.

You're great, you've got a large ammount of patience, and i commend you for all the help you have given me, but if is a simpler solution, then i'd rather not waste your time, im sure being a malware warrior takes alot of time.

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Orcitect

Orcitect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, ill do that tomorrow. =]

Thanks for all your help =] :) Can't put it into words how grateful I am ^^

Posted Image

Edited by Orcitect, 13 July 2010 - 04:14 PM.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Your more than welcome. I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days in case you should have any questions for me.

Orcitect

Orcitect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'll let you know how i get on =]

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
:)

Orcitect

Orcitect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Oh, i do have one question,

What single/combination of protection do you suggest?

Avast and Malwarebytes perhaps?

Edited by Orcitect, 13 July 2010 - 05:46 PM.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I thought that I had submitted a reply to the above, but I see that it didn't go through.

Anyways, the first thing you should do is ensure that you are behind a firewall. Most routers these days have a Firewall feature built into them. If it doesn't then I suggest you download a free Firewall program like Comodo.

Avast and MalwareBytes' is a good combination. I've also heard pretty good things in regards to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Orcitect

Orcitect

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey, just an update,

Got Vista installed,
Got everything updated in terms of Windows,
Got Malwarebytes and Avast, both updated.

Just attached my secondary hard drive, i'm scanning it with Malwarebytes, then im gonna scan it with Avast =]

It's much faster already, and no browser redirects =]

Thanks for all your help and advice :)

Edited by Orcitect, 14 July 2010 - 02:34 PM.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I'm glad to hear that things are running better after the reformat and reinstall. :)

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.