Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway laptop won't boot after hard drive reinstalled.

• Please log in to reply

shinejah

shinejah

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Greetings.

I have a Gateway laptop that was in good working order. I then got a Toshiba laptop from a friend that was not working. In order to test to see if the hard drive was the issue, I pulled the good drive out of my Gateway and installed it in Toshiba. The Toshiba booted into windows. I then pulled that drive out of the Toshiba and installed it back into the Gateway (it's original machine).

Now the gateway will not boot into Windows normally. It goes through bios splash, windows splash/loading screen then blue screens and restarts. It will boot into safemode no problem.

I changed the auto reboot registy entry in safemode to get the stop code. Don't know if this is helfull or not.
STOP: 0s0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf777e750, 0xf7a4542c, 0xf7a45128)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
John

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Probably because it's adapted itself to the new hardware. A Windows Repair is probably the best thing to do here. If you suspect issues with hard drives, then I personally wouldn't stick them in other laptops to test them.

shinejah

shinejah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I will try the windows repair as you've suggested. I'll let you know tomorrow how it went.

I guess I've learned my lesson on my hard drive testing methods. :)

shinejah

shinejah

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sorry for the delay. Windows is repaired and running well. Thanks for the help, and the word of advice regarding hard drive swapping.