Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB controllers not detected (Code 41)

• Please log in to reply

RM561

RM561

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, this is my first post, I have been doing a lot of poking around here and there is some great info. I have seen other posts with my issue, but none of the solutions have helped..I am at your mercy! Approximately 2 weeks ago, I plugged in my Ipod, it lit up and the battery charges, but my machine does not recognize it. Went into Device Manager and there are yellow ! next to all 5 of my USB controllers. Here are the steps I have done so far:

-Uninstalled all USB controllers, rebooted.
-Verified that USB is enabled in BIOS
-Done a scan on the Intel website to ensure I have the latest USB drivers
-Downloaded IOBIT registry cleaner and ran a full system registry clean
-Done a full system scan with Malwarebytes Anti Malware
-Done a full Windows update
-Attempted System Restore, but it will not allow me to go back to any previous save points.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 9400, Windows XP Service Pack 3. When I click on double click for any of the USB ports, it says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)", following the troubleshooting tips by Windows is useless. Can anyone help me? I would be fine with reinstalling Windows if need be, but I cannot even connect my external hard drive to back up all of my data! THANKS FOR ANY HELP, let me know what other info you need.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Could be the USB controller has failed - this is a motherboard component and all the USB ports are connected to it internally.

If it was me, I would fit a USB card into a spare PCI slot. This has it's own controller on the card, with 3 or 5 ports on the backplate. Install it, boot up the PC, and Windows should auto-detect it and install drivers for it that are built in to Windows - no external drivers are required provided you have XP-SP1 or later installed.