Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleted file Rundll32.exe from Windows98

• Please log in to reply

ry_satterfield

ry_satterfield

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[FONT=Arial]Deleted file Rundll32.exe from Windows 98. It was slowing the computer down and I thought it wasn't anything important. I was wrong. I searched through the forums for help. They didn't work for me. Please let me know what I need to do.
I downloaded the backup disk from bootdisk.com for windows 98. The directions in the forum said to download it to the desktop. Which I did. I don't know what file to extract. What exactly do I type to extract rundll32.exe?
I also tried downloading it from http://p-nand-q.com/download/tools/rundll32.zip but I can not open the zip file because you need rundll32.exe! If you can help me, please post before Wednesday 25 May 05.
Thank you!
Roxana

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
when you d/l the 98 boot disk file, you the double click on the icon, but before you do that, place a floppy in the A drive and select "format" make sure that sucker is clean. then after double clicking the 98 icon, it will place the boot files on your floppy in the A drive

If you PM me with your email address, I'll email you the rundll32 file that was in the zip folder. Its 20kb, super small, you can put it all on a floppy and extract it from there.

IF I'm not mistaken you have to place that rundll32 file in the sytem32 folder. make sure Im not mistaken first.

Edited by John_Doe, 23 May 2005 - 04:01 PM.

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi ry_satterfield and Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Deleted file Rundll32.exe from Windows 98. It was slowing the computer down and I thought it wasn't anything important.

Opps!! :tazz:

We can fix it tho. ;)

Click Start Run and type SFC. this is a windows utility called System File Checker and should restore any needed files. you may need your windows installation disk, or at least have the windows Cab files stored on your machine.
anyway
  • check Extract one file from installation disk.
  • click Start to open the Extract File window.
  • In the Restore from box Browse to either your CD with the win 98 installation CD or to wherever the Windows Cab files are located on your Harddrive.
  • In the Save File In: box be sure it contains the location of your windows folder, probably C:\WINDOWS.
  • click OK
  • In the backup file window which will pop up click OK.
  • Click Ok in the window that'll pop up.
  • Click Close on the System File Checker Window