Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Defragment or scan

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
When I try to Defragment, the computer goes quickly to 10%, then stalls. Then it says the Drives Contents have Changed and it restarts. I used to be able to Defragment but have not been able to for a month. I also cannot Scan.
I did have SpyWare but after working with hijackthis I now have a clean logfile.
It was suggested I go into SAFE mode and try to Defragment but I cannot get the computer to go into SAFE, after many, many tries.

Nancy

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
The standard advice to get into safe mode is to tap F8 repeatedly when your system is booting up.
try this instead tap CTRL instead, or try SHIFT or F5.

It is possible to turn the startup menu off and for you computer to be configured so that you can't enter safe mode this way. But that's probably not your problem, since Win 98 doesn't install itself that way and that would be something advanced users would play with. However if one of F8, CTRL, Shift, F5 doesn't work, we'll look into it.

Let us know if this works. :tazz:

If it does work you might want to consider booting up into DOS and running ScanDisk. Let it do a full surface scan. And then boot into safe mode and run Defrag. if it's been a while since you've run Defrag, you might get better results running it twice. At least some people advise that. I run defrag alot, I can tell by the way Windows is acting if I need to.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
By tapping F8 continuously, I finally got the computer into SAFE mode. And ran Defragment. It took about 1 hr, 20 minutes, but did finish. I started to SCAN but after over 30 minutes, I was not even 5% finished, so I Cancelled.
When I went to shut down after trying to SCAN, I hit CTRL-ALT-DLT and Explorer came up in the box. Does that mean anything?

Nancy

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi Tofu5 or is that Nancy

I hit CTRL-ALT-DLT and Explorer came up in the box. Does that mean anything?

No Explorer is always running, it displays your desktop among other things.

StarHawk

Ps are vegetarian, just wondering cause of the Name tofu5?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
make sure no screen savers are running

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808 and here to help you today.

Normally when defragmenting, it is just fine that disk defrag had to restart, it doesn't mean it will do the whole thing all over again. It just needs to refresh the status then continue to the part where it paused.

Here are the steps to disk defrag:
* First you must turn off any screen savers
* You must set your Power Schemes, System Standby to your desired preferrences
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Power Management
* Reboot to Safe Mode ( Press and Hold CTRL button while in P.O.S.T., or continuously tapping F8)
* First run Scandisk
* Then run Disk Defrag

Edited by kool808, 24 May 2005 - 12:33 AM.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I turned off ScreenSaver, and miraculously was able to go into SAFE mode. I Scanned today, it took over 4 hours with No Errors. Does it always take that long?
Then I Defragmented in SAFE mode, which took around 1/2 hr., much shorter time than last night.
I also did another CLEANUP, which found more stuff. How does it find more stuff to Delete if I just did it yesterday and have not surfed the Internet in the meantime?
I downloaded Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard and installed them. Not sure I did Spyware Guard correctly as it asked me to click on the SG emblem on the Desktop to close the program but I did not as I read to keep this running.
How often should I Scan and Defrag? Can I do it in the regular mode or do I always need to do it in SAFE mode?
My handle tofu5- years ago I tried to get signed onto ebay and they didn't like any I.D. I tried. I figured no one else would use tofu5. I was correct. At the time I was primarily vegetarian and yes, I do like tofu.
Working on the computer is not my strong point. I make the worlds best Roasted Garlic Souffle tho. If any of you would like the recipe, please let me know. You can impress all your Geek friends.

Nancy

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Hi again tofu5

You ask a string of questions so I'll try my best to answer them all

I Scanned today, it took over 4 hours with No Errors. Does it always take that long?

If you mean scadisk then yes that takes a while. It depends on the size of your hard drive and speed of your system and so. But expect hours.

I also did another CLEANUP, which found more stuff. How does it find more stuff to Delete if I just did it yesterday and have not surfed the Internet in the meantime?

The universe is full of mysteries. ;) Windows recreates some things the next time you reboot. Don't worry about it.

How often should I Scan and Defrag?

I defrag anytime my computer seems sluggish. It depends on how much you use your machine and how you are using it. Try Once a Week.

Scandisk I run maybe once a month (Full Surface Scan), or if I suspect I have problems, or when defrag doesn't work

Can I do it in the regular mode or do I always need to do it in SAFE mode?

You can run defrag in normal mode if no background processes are running. Turn off any screen savers, close all open windows, right click every icon in your system tray and choose close quit, et al in the pop up menu, and finally CTRL ALT DEL and close anything left except Explorer. Now run defrag or scandisk. That should work. :tazz:

PS. You can PM me the recipe if ya wish. I was a vegetarian chef on a commune for a couple years once. Been vegetarian over 20 years. That's why I ask about the tofu5 name it's cool. ;)

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Okay, I am pretty clear on how/when to scan and defragment. Do not know what a system tray is, to close. Then do I have to reopen them after I defrag.?
For the recipe: What is PM? I must tell you, the Souffle does have cream and cheese in it. It is a hit at a dinner, tho. I have a fabulous recipe for a Pate w/no meat, again a hit, even with my meathead friends. Looks the consistency of meat but is all vegetables. I take it to functions and call it Country Pate.

Nancy

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Your system tray is on the same toolbar as your Start button and contains your PC's clock. It can be turned off but most leave it since they like the clock, besides newbies probably don't know how to turn it off!!! It also usually contains other icons such as your firewall, Anti-Virus program, and probably many more. A lot of programs try to install an icon there, and in most cases that icon is associated with one or more processes running in the background.

Sorry about that I usually mention the clock when I talk about the system tray. Forgot it. Besides I never know how much or how little a user knows. It's safest to assume very little.

I advised you to

right click every icon in your system tray and choose close quit, et al in the pop up menu

This is to be sure all background programs are closed!! They will interfere with Defrag.

Then do I have to reopen them after I defrag.?

When you reboot they will be reopened actomatically when your system starts up. Just reboot immediately after you defrag and you will be covered. :tazz:

What is PM?

PM means private message, no use junking up the forum with none computer related stuff. To PM me you can hit the PM button at the bottom of my post. Type or cut and paste your recipes into the window that will open up when you click my PM button. You can also click on my name and either send a Private message or an e-mail. One of my e-mail addresses is public here. Also cheese and cream I used to be Hard core Vegan. Still mostly, but not so dogmatic about that. Animal Flesh yes. the rest in moderation I'll live! Besides I'm the master of substitution, can make my own soy cream if I desire and ya can buy soy cheese or substitute stuff like Nutritional yeast, tofu et al (depending on recipe). I'd like ta see both recipes tho. Love recipes. As you've probably guessed I'm more of a Hippie than a "Geek", But I do know and love my computers!! ;)

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
"Just reboot immediately after you defrag and you will be covered. "

Do you always have to reboot immediately after defragging? Can you defrag, then scan, then reboot?
I will try to PM you ASAP, I cannot copy/paste as the recipes are in my cookback.

Nancy

O.K., I just looked at all the previous messages and cannot find a PM anywhere.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Just found PM, it was not there after I had clicked on ADDREPLY.

Nancy

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Do you always have to reboot immediately after defragging? Can you defrag, then scan, then reboot?

I suggested rebooting after defrag because I ask you to close everything, including your firewall and anti-virus. You need your firewall and your antivirus running to protect you esp if you are going online. you don't necessarily have to reboot. But you probably should.

You can defrag first but if your Hard drive has errors then defrag will hang, get stuck or shut down. That's why I scandisk first if I'm gonna run both. I usually just run defrag by itself. Windows should run scandisk whenever windows doesn't shut down right. it doesn't do a full surface scan tho which detects physical damage on your hard drive. Therefore I occassionally run ScanDisk full surface scan now and then just in case.

By the way do you have a firewall and antivirus program? Do you know? You need them and you may also wish to follow the advice Here just to be sure you don't have any spyware/malware problems. Most computers do unfortunately. :tazz:

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I do not have a firewall, I do use AVG free version. It notified me at least twice(while this Spyware removal was underway) that I had a Trojan.
I now have SpyWare Guard and Spyware Blaster in place. How often should I check for updates on them? My computer is running much quieter since I've gotten ride of the Spyware and also defragged and scanned.

Nancy

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
AVG is great. :tazz: It's one of the best anti-virus program out there. It should check for updates itself plus it has a Check for updates Button on the Test Center.

Definately use a firewall. Zone Alarm and Kerio are two well respected totally free Firewalls. I use ZoneAlarm now but have used Kerio on some machines with great success.

Use almost any web browser other than Internet Explorer and you will have alot less problems. I recommend Firefox, but Opera and Netscape are also more secure than Internet Explorer.

Open Spyware Blaster Under Quick Task you will see Download Latest Protection Updates click it and then click the Check for Updates button. you can click the AutoUpdate button and it will Automatically check itself. I don't do that because it uses system resources and interfers with my very slow internet connection...I live in the Hills nothing but dial up. ;)

Open Spyware Gaurd and click the Live Update Button. Follow its instructions.

I check for updates regularly. At least once a week. One thing I love about geeks to go is the Software Updates forum. Check it out. They do a fantastic job there keeping us informed when updates come out. My hats off to Chachazz and friends ;)

I also recommend these Detect and Remove Programs:
  • How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Ad-Aware.
  • How to use Spybot to remove Spyware If you suspect that you have spyware installed on your computer, here are instructions on how to download, install and then use Spybot. Similar to Ad-Aware, I strongly recommend both to catch most spyware.

My computer is running much quieter since I've gotten ride of the Spyware and also defragged and scanned.

Glad we could help. :)

Edited by StarHawk, 25 May 2005 - 01:09 PM.