Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - Outlood 2003

• Please log in to reply

dcobau

dcobau

• Pip
  • 4 posts
g'day all,

I am writing from my work location because I cannot receive emails on my home pc. I recently purchased a new pc with Windows 7 on it. I installed Office 2003 on it and re-created internet and email accounts like on my old pc (which used Windows XP sp3). Initially everything worked ok except for Office 2003. When opening it produced an error message - omething along the line that an error occurred and could not open. After trying to open it in safe mode and repairing it (and other things that I no longer remember) and a short period of stressing out I gave up and sign on hot mail for an account. I got that to work ok but after an initial influx of a dozen of so email I stopped receiving them (I estimate I should have about 50-60 on the server of my provider). So, next day, I played around with Outlood again and, this time, got it to work. But I still only had those dozen or so emails. In the meantime I sent from work a couple of emails to my home address and I didn't receive them either. Last night I sent from my home pc a test email to my work pc, and that got through ok. So basically I cannot receive emails but I can send them. Can anyone help please.

thanks

Dave

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
mail not incoming ,go to outlook tools and accts' and check to make sure you have correct info in the SMTP field

dcobau

dcobau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Bing7, thanks for the reply. I have checked the account set up and it seems to be ok, I also tested the connection and the result is all good! However, yesterday afternoon, while trying again to get it working, I started to get an error message along the lines of "cannot find the server, ensure the server name is correct!". But the server name (those 2 boxes used for outgoing and incoming mail, right?) is according to what my provider gave me.

appreciate your input

Dave

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP

But the server name (those 2 boxes used for outgoing and incoming mail, right?) is according to what my provider gave me.

appreciate your input

Dave

yeah ,that should be all you need to do ,what you could do is call your providers tech support and get them to walk you through the setup [we do it here all the time ],just to be sure that all info is correct and going in the right place

dcobau

dcobau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
that's what I had in mind of doing next, thanks again

Peterkorse12

Peterkorse12

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Check out your SMTP settings. Make sure that you have make all settings correctly while setting up your system on new computer. Or there can be a problem of misconfiguration of outlook express so also check it. If still you are getting problem than reload your connection from starting.

dcobau

dcobau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you all, after contacting my provider they adjusted my settings on their end and it's all good now. But I am still wondering why it started to download some 12 or so emails and then stopped....

thanks again

Dave