Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Pavillion won't start with new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

stoney_pe

stoney_pe

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought a used hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate preinstalled. It is supposed to be from a laptop that had a motherboard failure that was sold for parts, so I didn't get any of the installation discs. When I installed it in my HP Pavillion laptop, Windows 7 won't start. I get one of those blue screens, but it flashes by so quickly that I'm not able to read the error message. The best I can gather is that since it came from a different computer, it has the settings for that motherboard, chipset, etc. Is there a way to make this Windows 7 installation work with my computer?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It most likely won't start since the previous installation was done on another laptop. Drivers for that system are loaded and are not present on your system which will stop the startup.
Since it has no disk with it then that would mean the recovery is located on the hd itself. Even that being the case the recovery will load drivers for the original system and not yours.
Your option is to purchase a Windows 7 and start fresh with this hd and that way you can download and install the drivers for your system.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
"rshaffer61" is right - even disregarding the installed drivers not matching the hardware, Windows 7 does not like being moved from one PC to another. The "Product ID" code on that hard disk no longer matches the hardware. Windows has to be installed on the computer you want to use it on, using a Windows 7 installation disc and a genuine product key that hasn't been used on any other computer (or it will fail product activation).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 15 July 2010 - 02:16 PM.