Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP Slow to Load some programs and getting slower to boot

• Please log in to reply

steve farmery

steve farmery

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello,

I have Win XP SP3, 2 Gig Ram and 2 Gig Hz Dual Core Intel Processor, 236 Gig HD (C Drive)with 59 Gig free, recently and often defragged. My Page file is set to run on a separate HD with 138 Gig to play with. I run Panda Cloud Anti Virus and no other. I have checked the system with Malwarebytes antimalware, no problems, Ad aware shows nothing bad and as far as I can see nothing bad on my HijackThis log file..I have very limited start up programs and add ons, I have 1598 Meg of free Ram whilst running and CPU usage shows 99% CPU free. Task Manager shows the highest CPU usage as that of the System Idle Process overall CPU usage shows to be 18% at the highest and 1% at the lowest...my problem is that it can take anything up to 1 minute to finish loading some programs such as Firefox, it also takes anything up to 30 seconds just to open the file manager window to see the contents of a hard drive..and my hard drive is constantly thrashing like it is defragging....all the time...and start up to fully complete takes 2.5 Minutes, with very few start up items, I shifted most of them with MSConfig.

I also use CCleaner frequently and it rarely has much to do..and the shut down process can take years to complete..is there anything obvious I have missed here please?

Thank you .. :)

Steve F

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can try one or all of these:

Download the test program from your Hard Drives manufacturer and test your hard drives (both).

Move back your page file back to your C: and see if it runs better if it runs better sfter but still sometimes seem slow you can try unplugging your spare hard drive to see if this will make it work better.

Run checkdisk on both drives.

Since you seemed to have tested most things this might be what could be affecting the performance.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Alzeimer, 16 July 2010 - 06:05 AM.

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi Alzeimer,

Many thanks for that, I actually moved the swap file to improve matters, and it did so but not to a great extent.

Checkdisk...How could I forget the obvious...Duh..I will run when I next boot..

Thanks..

Have a Good Weekend there..:)

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Chckdisk found nothing wrong with any drive so no problems there. My system still slows down, the symptoms are exactly as if it is running out of resources...which is clearly isn't..long time to boot, long time to load programs...gets longer as I use it...until eventually Firefox stops completely and it just sits there thrashing the drive for about 1 minute and Firefox or whatever program starts working again... :) anybody got any ideas at all please?

Edited by steve farmery, 18 July 2010 - 02:01 AM.

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Just took 20 Minutes to update Adaware...and I have 4 meg download speed...!! Cant anyone help me here??

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
2.5 minutes to load Adaware..or any program...with 1.7 Gig free memory Cpu usage at 5% and a swap file the size of a House...!

steve farmery

steve farmery

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok I guess no one has a clue here then..thanks anyhow..I will try another forum..