Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply

H2916

H2916

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I am trying to reinstall Windows Vista, due to a problem I had earlier with it. I'm using the recovery discs sent to me by HP, and I am following the directions they gave me in order to do the reinstallation. After I put the first recovery disc in, Windows says "Windows is loading files ...... " and then the screen appears with the green bar moving back and forth (what the normal startup would be). Then, there is a light blue screen with a mouse pointer. That's it. I can move the mouse, but nothing else will happen. I've been waiting over an hour for the recovery process to start, but nothing is happening.

I pretty much ruled out it being a hardware issue, as Ubuntu works fine on the computer. Does anyone know why the recovery won't start and why the blue screen is there?

Also, I was thinking, is there a difference between a recovery disc and an actual Windows installation disc? Could this be why I am having the problem? Would using a Windows install disc guarantee it will work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Yes, a Manufacturer's Recovery Disc & a Windows Installation Disc from Microsoft are very different, but I've no idea why the former isn't working, neither can I guarantee that the latter would work on your PC.

The Recovery Disc only works on a specific make & model of PC. It installs a pre-activated copy of Windows plus all the correct motherboard drivers and utilities relevant to that particular system. A Windows Installation CD from Microsoft is "generic" inasmuch as it's not intended for a specific make or model of computer. Therefore, you may find that some device drivers are missing after Windows has finished installing & you would need to get those from the HP website (provided they have drivers for the version of Windows you've installed). You also need to 'Activate' Windows when it's been installed from a 'proper' Microsoft Windows disc, unlike a Recovery disc.

You really should contact HP again since they supplied you with the disc(s).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 17 July 2010 - 05:23 PM.