Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
I just upgraded my video card from an FX5200 to an Asus 6600 128MB AGP8x. ;)

My power supply is a 350W Enermax with 26A on the +12V rail.

I have read on some forums (and some friends) that 350W is just not enough for a 6600 card. But then some people have said it only depends on the Ampers on the +12V rail.

Before I spend $60 - $100 on a quality 500W power supply, I want to get a few opinions on this forum.... Would I really benefit from a 500W PSU? :tazz:

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i've built my share of computers in the day some are really good gaming computers i built for friends and 350 i use all the time even with top end parts i don't think you need the 500 it might run better when you are doing things that take alot of power but most games and simple computing tasks should work fine with the 350

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Being that its a Enermax with 26A on that rail it will be fine you won't need another but the 3.3 and 5v rails have alot to do with todays video cards.

Usually when a psu has mid 20 amps on the 12v it has plenty on the other rails as well its just when you see some cheap psu brands that are 350w you have to look at the amps on all the rails some are as low as 13A, these are the ones to stay away from.

Rick

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

...but the 3.3 and 5v rails have alot to do with todays video cards.

View Post

+3.3 and +5v rails are both running at 32A.

Thanks for the helpful advice guys ;)

I will take that into consideration and do a little more research... :tazz: