Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen - graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

dazL

dazL

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi

I'm fixing a pc for boy in our road. He's had multiple issues, all but one now fixed after a clean install of Windows XP. However, the pc is still crashing to a blue screen.

I've searched online for hours and can't find the same error message:

" A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to previen damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X00000008E (OXC0000005, 0X8054B2B2, 0XB8E37B40, 0X00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance. "

Any suggestions gratefully received... My suspicion is the GPU is faulty but i don't have another one to try.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi dazL :)
Download & run this to check out the gfx card http://download.cnet...4-10788513.html
& then this for any BSOD reports http://www.nirsoft.n...creen_view.html

dazL

dazL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi dazL :)
Download & run this to check out the gfx card http://download.cnet...4-10788513.html
& then this for any BSOD reports http://www.nirsoft.n...creen_view.html

Thanks for the links. I've run the gpu-z and also found the BSOD report software handy.
Is there anyway you know of to test the graphics card?
Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The only way i know of testing the card other than using gpu-z
would be to try it in another computer or MB but if is faulty it
could damage the other MB, what did gpu-z report about the card?

dazL

dazL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The only way i know of testing the card other than using gpu-z
would be to try it in another computer or MB but if is faulty it
could damage the other MB, what did gpu-z report about the card?

i must have missed a trick somewhere on gpu-z as it only gave a readout of the details of the card. It didn't have any options i could see to perform any sort of tests on the card. There was no performance rating or index to suggest it had checked the card. I think i need to check the readme file to see what it does.
cheers

Edited by dazL, 18 July 2010 - 04:03 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You can download & run this http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html
Click on Tools & then Analysis and Advice, it will give you a report on the whole system & make
recommendations on repairs & improvements.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Did this happen directly after installing XP or did you load any drivers then the issue started?

dazL

dazL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

Did this happen directly after installing XP or did you load any drivers then the issue started?

No, the pc had a multitude of problems but was still crashing. I reinstalled XP and resolved the other problems such as the slow responseness, driver problems etc but the crashing issue didn't go away.
I've reinstalled the latest driver for the card and did try the Sandra programme but it doesn't make it through a whole test.
If you put internet explorer on and leave the pc it lasts anything upto an hour or more, but as soon as you start doing anything BSOD after 10 - 25 minutes. To my mind it seems to crash more when its warm than from cold (eg the Sandra testing will go 75% from cold but not make it more than a few % if you have had ie on first.

Its quite an old system and i don't have either an old spare graphics card or ram that fits, but i'm fairly suspicious its one or the other.

Cheers for the help.... anything i could try before buying some parts from ebay and wasting his money?

edit
sorry i just re-read your post..... thats not the error i get. There is a stop code but i don't have the kernel line, just the numbers

Edited by dazL, 19 July 2010 - 03:10 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you boot into Safe Mode and does the issue happen there?

dazL

dazL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Can you boot into Safe Mode and does the issue happen there?

i can boot into safe mode but the problem still happens.

What do you think is the most likely cause as i think the only way to deal with this is to replace some parts.
thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I take it we are talking about a desktop system?
Have you opened it up and made sure the fan on the video card is turning?

dazL

dazL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I take it we are talking about a desktop system?
Have you opened it up and made sure the fan on the video card is turning?

yes, its a desktop. I've taken the card out (and memory) and carefully hoovered the m/board and the slots and fans, but not removed the cpu & cooling fan.
cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When the system is open have you turned the system on and checked to make sure all fans are turning?

dazL

dazL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

When the system is open have you turned the system on and checked to make sure all fans are turning?

yes i checked the basics as far as visual check can go. The cpu cooler is working, the graphics is passively cooled and the power fan appears to working.
thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would suggest a Repair Installation then to see if something is doinked with the OS itself. If that doesn't work then the graphics card would be my next choice of the issue.
Try this to test the GPU:
Go to Start and then to Run and Type in dxdiag and then click Enter
At the bottom of the System page click on Save All Information
Save As a Text file and save to Desktop.Include this file with your next reply.
On the DirectX Files tab, check at the bottom of the window for any problem notes.
On the Display Tab click the
Test DirectDraw button and wait for the results.
Then click the Test Direct3D button and wait for the results.

In your next reply include results of each of the above steps.